Dean Close Memorial Chapel was dedicated on the 1st November in 1923, ‘To the glory of god and, in memory of those who, from this school went forth to lay down their lives for this country’.
This years’ service, as moving and poignant as ever, saw the whole school come together at the only Sunday Service the school holds during the year. The community took the time to observe a two minute silence and then a service of remembrance; Old Decanian and a member of the School Council, Lt Col Edward Taylor spoke to the congregation about a more modern perspective of remembrance, than that of just focussing on the past conflicts. Given the international nature of our community it should not be about the British past, but what the current generation and future generations are able to do to reduce conflicts that are seen around the world.
The Choir sung brilliantly, Prayers spoken by current pupils with real feeling and the Head of School and Cadets who formed a Colour Party (School CCF Banner and Union Flag) executed their duties with great care.