Dean Close is home to almost forty different nationalities. We celebrate this and take enormous pride in the unique atmosphere such a demographic provides. The School is always delighted to consider high achieving students who are likely to go on to top UK and world leading universities or employers.
International pupils can join us from aged 2+ to 16. Dean Close comprises three schools:
- Pre-preparatory School for day children aged 2+ to 7
- Preparatory School for boarding or day pupils from aged 7-13
- Senior School for boarding and day pupils aged 13-18
The international boarding community is spread across all the boarding houses to ensure each child has a very British boarding experience and is fully integrated into the Dean Close community.
How to apply
Pupils applying for boarding places from homes outside of the United Kingdom are asked to apply via an educational agency. The main reason we require this is to help pupils through the selection process, assist with paperwork, legalities and translation. In addition, since every pupil seeking to enter the School is required to take an entrance examination, it is necessary for a registered body to administer the testing. For international pupils who are not able to visit us during the admissions process we conduct Skype interviews. If a pupil is already studying within the United Kingdom, they are invited to visit Dean Close where we can meet with them in person.
Pupils applying for day places can apply directly to our Admissions teams via the email addresses listed below.
Level of English language required
Depending upon the point of entry, a reasonable level of fluency in the English language is required in order to access the curriculum. However, a few pupils enter the Prep School with no English and are given intensive English as a Foreign Language lessons to help them during their first couple of years in the School. This level of support can also be continued on into our Senior School if required.
English as a Foreign Language lessons are available at both the Preparatory and Senior School.
All international pupils must have a guardian based in the United Kingdom, not only to be a point of contact but to be able to arrange accommodation during holidays and exeat weekends. The School can recommend highly reputable guardian agencies but is not able to arrange guardianship for parents.
Applying for a visa
The Dean Close Foundation is a Tier 4 sponsor and is able to sponsor pupils who are not nationals of a European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland to come to the United Kingdom to study at Dean Close.
Parents are asked to inform the Admissions teams upon initial contact if their child will require sponsorship from us.
- The uniform can be ordered on line.
- There is a comprehensive international induction held at the start of the academic year in both the Preparatory and Senior schools. This course involves helping pupils to become familiarised with the Dean Close campus, the English culture and getting to know their new friends and teachers. The School appreciates that many international pupils have left home for the first time, often from a very long way, and make every effort to help them settle in and feel at home.
- Each pupil has a group of staff who are responsible for their welfare. Parents will have regular contact from both pastoral and academic staff.
Next steps…To make an enquiry contact the Admissions Team Registrars –
- Pre-preparatory – Lesley Miller 01242 258079 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Preparatory – Rhian Hayes 01242 258001 email@example.com
- Senior – Kelly Serjeant 01242 258044 firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to welcoming you to Dean Close.