Teenagers are wired for adventure, adrenaline and challenge – and the new Dean Close Adventure Department is built for just that.
Mountain biking, paddle sports, mountain adventures, rock climbing, bush craft, slack lining, orienteering… the possibilities are endless.
Adventures start on school grounds:
· ‘Bike Park DC’ for the mountain bikers
· the climbing wall and bouldering facility
· the swimming pool for the kayakers, paddle boarders and canoeists
· The brook for bushcraft, hammocks and slack lining
As technical skill develops, we make the most of our local area:
· The mountain bikers hit the Forest of Dean, Cleeve Hill, Leckhampton, 417 Bike Park and Cranham Woods. Some of the best mountain biking in the UK is right on our doorstep.
· Climbers can reach for new heights at The Warehouse in Gloucester, Boulders in Cheltenham and on real rocks in the Wye Valley and on Cleeve Hill
· Paddlers learn their game at Croft Farm, Cotswold Water Park, the River Avon, the River Wye and Cardiff International White Water Centre
· Adventures on foot throughout the Cotswolds, the Wye Valley, Black Mountains, Brecon Beacons, Snowdonia and further afield. Escape the town and breath the mountain air
All this skill development prepares our pupils for big adventures.
Mr Beecham, Head of Adventure has experience leading expeditions trekking, paddling, biking and volunteering in the South American Andes and Amazon, Canadian Rockies, East and West Africa, Nepal, the Alps and Artic Norway.
Pupils can bring their adventure ideas to us and we will work to bring them to life.
“Yet all experience is an arch wherethrough Gleams that untraveled world whose margin fades Forever and forever when I move. How dull it is to pause, to make an end, To rust unburnished, not to shine in use! As though to breathe were life!” – Alfred Lord Tennyson