Highlights of the Week
- The Spring Concert saw fantastic variety alongside Jeff Gao playing the solo in Bruch’s Romance for Viola in F major.
- Monday had the Linguists challenging themselves in the UK Linguistics Olympiad.
- The Solo Singing Competition and Song Recital Competition took place on Thursday with Oscar Richardson winning the trophy.
- Jeff Gao gave a hugely accomplished performance on his violin in this week’s Fridays at 6.
- On Tuesday the catering staff produced a special Chinese New Year lunch for the entire community.
- Mead enjoyed their in-house Movie night on Wednesday.
- English and Drama Theatre Trip to see Waiting for Godot.
- U16 Girls’ Hockey team beat Oakham to progress to the National Finals at Lee Valley in London just after half term.
- U16 Boys’ Hockey team beat Clifton College 4-0 in their National Cup Competition.
- U15 Boys’ Rugby team lost to Taunton which brought their superb run in the National Plate competition to an end.
Sunday 10 February: Sherborne U14 Sevens Tournament CANCELLED
School Dress Code Reminders
Lower School: Maroon jumper with grey trim
5th Form: Navy v-neck jumper or maroon jumper with grey trim
6th Form: Plain single colour of knitted fabric and v-neck design
Some of the 5th Form skirts are incredibly short. There are cheap second-hand skirts available in the School Shop. Coats can be worn in addition to jackets BUT not instead of jackets.
ARABIAN NIGHTS: 13 & 14 February
Junior Play, Bacon Theatre, 7.15pm
It is wedding night in the palace of King Shahrayar. By morning, the new Queen Shahrazad is to be put to death like all the young brides before her. But she has one gift that could save her – the gift of storytelling. With her mischievous imagination, the young Queen spins her dazzling array of tales and characters. On her side are Ali Baba, the Little Beggar and Princess Parizade – adventurers in strange and magical worlds populated by giant beasts, talking birds, devilish ghouls and crafty thieves. But will her silver-tongued stories be enough to enchant her husband and save her life?
All are warmly welcome to this production, which is the famous RSC version performed by them around 10 years ago, and which is directed by Vivienne Sawford from the Drama Department. Please do come and support the junior actors, who have worked hard for your entertainment, and do please bring families and friends. Tickets are not required. The production ends at around 8.30pm.
Music and Canapes: St Matthew’s Church
Saturday 9 February
Please see below the invitation from St Matthew’s Church to attend their Music and Canapes evening in aid of Samara’s Aid Appeal.
PINK DINNER: Friday 1 March
Please see the flyer below for further details of our Pink Dinner to support the Charity Breast Cancer Now! We are looking for you all to book tables from 4 to 12 people AND we are inviting men to come along this year too!
We are also looking for any sponsorship if you would like to promote your company:
Main Course £200
We might do goodie bags if we get enough bits to go in it but we can put business cards of sponsors on the tables and the menus, and we will be promoting on social media.
Please email email@example.com if you would like to be involved!
Close Community Clay Pigeon Shooting
Friday 8 March
Join Old Decanians, Staff, Current & Past Parents at Ian Coley Sporting for a morning’s shooting and tuition. Suitable for beginners and advanced shots.
If you would like to book please contact Connie on firstname.lastname@example.org
London Business Club
Thursday 14 March, 6.30pm – 8pm
All ODs, Parents and friends of Dean Close are welcome to join us.
Please register by clicking here.
Close Community Golf Day
Friday 29 March
All are welcome to join us for a round of Golf at Cotswold Hills Golf Club, Cheltenham. All in aid of Nyakatukura Memorial Secondary School, a School that Dean Close has supported since 2005.
Please contact Connie in the Development Office at email@example.com if you would like to book.
The Week Ahead
CLICK HERE to access the Live Website Calendar with all of the events for next term.
Do to the busy and dynamic nature of the school, there are sometimes inevitable changes to our calendar. Do please refer to this online version, for the most up to date information.
If you have any queries or comments, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.