Highlights of the Week
- The 5th Form have been busy revising this week and writing their GCSE mock exams.
- National Hockey Indoor Finals taking place in London. We wish our U16 and U18 boys’ teams the very best for the weekend.
- The Equestrian Club met on Friday night to celebrate the year’s achievements and to listen to international rider Kitty King give a very natural and inspiring talk to our young riders and their parents. One of the highlights of the evening was the opportunity to recognise the achievements of three Upper Sixth riders who have contributed a huge amount to the success and profile of the Equestrian team over many years, Lydia Ward, Molly Davies and Millie Tingey.
- The 1st XV Rugby team lost narrowly to Marlborough College 19-10 in the last 16 of the National Cup.
- 6th Form pupils went on a very constructive Taster Visit to Cardiff Met University.
- 3 of our Remove pupils attended a CCF Flying day on Wednesday, getting to take control of the aircraft. Very exciting!
- Congratulations go to Mobo Sotande-Peters and Gavin Lee who have had their artwork selected for inclusion in the 2019 Specialist Crafts Catalogue.
Parents’ Talk: David Parvin from Drug Sense UK
Monday 21 January: 7.00pm in the PMH
David has visited Dean Close previously and the parents who attended on those occasions, gave incredibly positive feedback. David is very straight talking, and for any parent, this is well worth attending. During the course of the afternoon, David will also be working with groups of pupils and staff. In order for us to gauge numbers, please RSVP to Donna Richards on DRichards@deanclose.org.uk.
MAZES OF THE MIND
A beautiful exhibition of colourful, pattern-oriented, abstract paintings by Francesca Shaw, opened in the BonBernard Gallery last night at 5.30pm and runs until 9 February.
Francesca is a fascinating person who, alongside her painting, works as an Art Psychotherapist in Edinburgh Prison.
Mayor’s Youth Concert: Sunday 27 January
Please see the advert below for this very special Community Event. We would love to see you there.
Spring Concert: Sunday 3 February
Pittville Pump Room, 7.00pm
This year’s Spring Concert will include the Bruch Romance for Viola with Jeff Gao as the soloist. The concert will include performances by the Orchestra and Chamber Choir as well as other smaller groups and solo items. If you would like tickets, please email Sylvia Klemz (email@example.com). Please do not include performers in your ticket numbers.
Complimentary tea and coffee will be served during the interval; the bar will be open from 6.30pm and during the interval for the purchase of other drinks.
The School Chaplain invites parents and guardians to consider over the Christmas holidays, whether confirmation might be appropriate for their child / children. As always, pupils are more than welcome to join the other candidates for the preparation course in order to see whether this might be something which is for them. The course will run for the last six weeks of the Lent Term on Wednesday evenings, and our 2019 Service will be on Wednesday 8 May at 1800 in the School Chapel when the Bishop of Gloucester will be coming to preside.
Please could I ask that all declarations of interest be made to the Chaplain (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Saturday 19 January.
Close Community Clay Pigeon Shooting
Friday 8 March
Join Old Decanians, Staff, Current & Past Parents at Ian Coley Sporting for a morning’s shooting and tuition. Suitable for beginners and advanced shots. If you would like to book please contact Connie on email@example.com.
Close Community Golf Day
Friday 29 March 2019
All are welcome to join us for a round of Golf at Cotswold Hills Golf Club, Cheltenham. All in aid of Nyakatukura Memorial Secondary School in Uganda, a School that Dean Close has supported since 2005.
Please contact Connie in the Development Office if you would like to book on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Easter Revision Course
Please see below for our latest courses!
The Week Ahead
CLICK HERE to access the Live Website Calendar with all of the events for next term.
Do to the busy and dynamic nature of the school, there are sometimes inevitable changes to our calendar. Do please refer to this online version, for the most up to date information.
If you have any queries or comments, please contact email@example.com.