Highlights of the Week
- RocSoc on Sunday evening which included the Singer Songwriter competition demonstrated just what a wealth of talent our pupils have.
- 4th Form watched a production called CountyLines on Monday, raising awareness of Drug Crime in the UK.
- The House Golf competition took place at Brickhampton on Tuesday and was won by Field.
- Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music exams have been taking place this week, with pupils showing an exceptional standard of performance.
- The Wilson Challenge on Tuesday saw some fantastic presentations by Juniors and Seniors alike.
- Modern Languages pupils attended Holy Apostles Primary to assist with the teaching of French on Wednesday.
- We are very proud of our three England U18 Rugby players who represented their country against Scotland.
- Blue Caterpillar presented to the 5th Form groups on Revision technique.
- Senior Bowden Society Debate took place on Friday night showcasing a great deal of skills from our Senior pupils as they tackled topics including Capitalism and Compulsory Worship in Schools.
- As a thank you to all of the pupils for being their usual polite and accommodating selves during our Inspection, and to acknowledge the role that they played in all the interviews, lessons and activities that were observed, the Headmaster decided to hold a Mufti Day on Friday 22 March.
From the Headmaster
The Headmaster would like to express his sincere thanks to all the parents who completed the questionnaire for the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI) team. It is incredibly useful for us to receive feedback which we can then work with to continue in our quest to raise standards. We will be able to share the findings of the inspection with you when we receive the final report from the ISI towards the end of May. The inspectors were full of praise for all of the pupils that they met during their time here, and were very impressed with the academic attainment and endeavour.
5th Form: A compulsory workshop focussing on the pre-release booklet is being held for 5th Form Geographers on Thursday 28 March in the Pavilion from 4pm-5.30pm.
- Hockey v King’s Taunton U16 National Cup Quarter Final (H) Monday 25 March, 5.00pm
- Hockey v Repton U18 National Cup Quarter Final (H) Tuesday 26 March, 4.15pm
Upper Sixth Study Leave
Normal timetabled lessons will take place until the end of Week 5 of the Trinity Term (18th May) and between Monday 20 May – Friday 24 May lessons will be compulsory but will run as supervised study periods, with teachers being available for support and revision help. We strongly advise pupils to make full use of these sessions. However, as there a number of early A Level exams this year pupils will be permitted to revise at home if day pupils, or in House if boarders, on the day before and morning of an exam if they wish to do so. If they have a morning exam they are permitted leave the day before the exam but will be expected in lessons on the afternoon following the exam.
Therefore, if pupils have any A Levels before half-term, they will need to confirm their intentions either to be in lessons or at home/in House the day before an exam with their HSMs.
We are thrilled to announce that Dean Close has been shortlisted for the second year running for this year’s SoGlos Awards. Please help us win Best Independent School in Gloucestershire (again!) by voting using the following link www.soglos.com/awards.
If you are not a SoGlos member you will need to register to be able to vote. This takes just a minute! It would be a fantastic achievement for Dean Close if we were to win two years running. Every vote counts so please encourage friends and families to get involved!
Cricket and Tennis Pre-season Schedule
The Sports department is delighted to be able to provide the following pre-season schedule for the cricket and tennis programmes. Please communicate with the following members of staff should you have any queries:
Community Golf Day
Friday 29 March
All are welcome to join us for a round of Golf at Cotswold Hills Golf Club, Cheltenham. All in aid of Nyakatukura Memorial Secondary School, a School that Dean Close has supported since 2005.
Please contact Connie in the Development Office if you would like to book on firstname.lastname@example.org
Jazz in the Park
Sunday 28 April, 2-4pm, Dean Close House
Please join us for this new addition to our Calendar. See further details below.
Ride for Ryder 2019
Sunday 23 June
For the fourth year now as a School we’re supporting Sue Ryder – Leckhampton Court Hospice and hosting their annual bike ride from the sports complex and cricket pavilion, taking place on Sunday 23rd June 2019. Ride for Ryder is charity cycle ride supporting the only hospice in Gloucestershire with inpatient beds.
Previously we’ve had a small team of riders representing Dean Close School so hopefully this year we can encourage a few more to jump on the saddle and help celebrate the Hospice’s 31st annual cycle in aid of Leckhampton Court Hospice.
Early Bird Sign up: www.sueryder.org/rideforryder2019
The Week Ahead
CLICK HERE to access the Live Website Calendar with all of the events for next term.
Do to the busy and dynamic nature of the school, there are sometimes inevitable changes to our calendar. Do please refer to this online version, for the most up to date information.
If you have any queries or comments, please contact email@example.com.