Highlights of the Week
- Classics pupils were treated to a fascinating talk on epic poetry and the character of Odysseus by brilliant lecturer Dr Adrian Kelly of Balliol College, Oxford at Thursday’s Classics Association meeting.
- The Senior House Public Speaking Competition took place on Friday night, which saw Oscar Richardson taking the honours for best Vote of Thanks, Bea Bennett for best Chair and Max Thomas for best Speaker. A thoroughly entertaining evening!
- The 5th Form have finally finished their Mock Exams and will now have an opportunity to assess their progress ahead of the finals in the summer.
- The U15 Rugby team beat Churchers’ College 12-10 in a thrilling contest to reach the Quarter Finals of the National Plate competition.
- The 1st XI Boys’ Hockey team won their first match of the National League beating Peter Symonds’ 3-1.
Remove Parents’ Meeting: Friday 25 January, 4.00pm in the Dining Hall
A reminder that we shall be holding the Year 10 (Remove) Parents’ Meeting next Friday.
We would encourage your son/daughter to attend with you, in School uniform.
Parents’ Talk: David Parvin from Drug Sense UK
Monday 21 January: 7.00pm in the PMH (Highly Recommended)
David has visited Dean Close previously and the parents who attended on those occasions gave incredibly positive feedback. David is very straight talking, and for any parent, this is well worth attending. During the course of the afternoon, David will also be working with groups of pupils and staff. In order for us to gauge numbers, please RSVP to Donna Richards on DRichards@deanclose.org.uk.
5th & 6th FORM CAREERS UPDATE
Last week, the majority of the 5th Form completed their Morrisby Assessments and will be working with the Careers Dept, tutors and House teams to customise their profiles and discuss results ahead of their Options choices. Pupils can invite parents / guardians to be given access to the live system. Initial Morrisby Career Reports, detailing initial results, are currently being sent out by email and via iSAMs, so please do keep an eye out for these.
A presentation was also made to the Lower Sixth about their Futures Programme, which highlighted their upcoming Morrisby Workshop (22 January), important advice on applying overseas, and highlighting the value and process for organising work experience.
The expectation is that pupils will undertake two meaningful placements in the Sixth Form and it is great to see how many pupils are starting to engage with this and setting up some powerful opportunities. The presentation slideshow can be viewed here.
Mayor’s Youth Concert: Sunday 27 January
Please see the advert below for this very special Community Event. We would love to see you there.
Spring Concert: Sunday 3 February
Pittville Pump Room, 7.00pm
This year’s Spring Concert will include the Bruch Romance for Viola with Jeff Gao as the soloist. The concert will include performances by the Orchestra and Chamber Choir as well as other smaller groups and solo items. Please see the flyer below for further information.
PINK DINNER: Friday 1 March
Please see the flyer below for further details of our Pink Dinner to support the Charity Breast Cancer Now!
Music and Canapes: St Matthew’s Church
Saturday 9 February
Please see below the invitation from St Matthew’s Church to attend their Music and Canapes evening in aid of Samara’s Aid Appeal.
Our Parents’ Tennis Activity, is becoming a huge success! So much so that we have created a new session for Beginners. We have places available for this new Monday session.
The Week Ahead
CLICK HERE to access the Live Website Calendar with all of the events for next term.
Do to the busy and dynamic nature of the school, there are sometimes inevitable changes to our calendar. Do please refer to this online version, for the most up to date information.
If you have any queries or comments, please contact email@example.com.