Highlights of the Week:
- Chapel Choir sang Evensong at St George’s Chapel, Windsor. It was great to see so many parents and Old Decanians at this event.
- On Saturday 20 and Sunday 21 January, eight of our U16 boys represented Cheltenham Hockey Club at the National Club Indoor Finals and were crowned National Champions!
- Audiences appreciated both the Gate House and Fawley House Soirees this week which showcased a wide variety of talent.
- Jenny Ng spellbound an audience at ‘Fridays at 6’ with a wonderful rendition of pieces by Bach, Haydn & a particularly powerful finish with a gutsy performance of Brahms.
- Noticeable this week has been the support of friends at the Soirees, Lunchtime Music Concert and the ‘Fridays at 6’ demonstrating the strength of the community spirit.
- An excited bus load of pupils went off to watch Gloucester Rugby beat the Ospreys on Friday night in a try filled encounter.
- Saturday 27 January witnesses our Chinese New Year celebrations.
Concert: Sunday 28 January, 7.00pm in Chapel
Chapel Choir and Choral Society are performing Handel’s Coronation Anthems and Haydn’s Nelson Mass. Do come along! Everyone is welcome. The concert will end by 9.00pm.
Spring Concert – Sunday 4 March, 7.00pm, Pittville Pump Room
Important information about ticket arrangements
Tickets for the Spring Concert are available ONLY from the Bacon Theatre Box Office and booking opens for Dean Close families on Monday 29 January; you will need to use the code FBF97D. You must print out your tickets at the time of booking as this facility is not available from the Box Office for this event.
Code: FBF97D – from Monday 29 January
Please note that seats are not reserved, this is simply a chance for you to get your tickets early to avoid possible disappointment once booking is opened up to the wider community.
For parents of Fifth Form and Lower Sixth Pupils
The National Citizen Service (NCS) came into school this week to hold an assembly for Fifth Form students. NCS is a highly-regarded organisation providing young people with a four week opportunity in the summer holidays to develop their skills and also serve their communities. The scheme for each participant costs around £1500 but this is mostly met by the government. Parents are asked to pay only £50 towards costs. Dean Close students have participated in NCS over the past few years and more information can be found at http://www.ncsyes.co.uk. With a long summer holiday ahead, this could be well worth investigating and participation in it can also contribute to the Gold Duke of Edinburgh award scheme.
French, Spanish & German GCSE Revision Guide
The Modern Languages Department has ordered a revision guide and revision workbook for all the pupils taking a GCSE this summer.
- The revision workbooks are not suited to being re-issued, and as such we will be charging the cost price £2.49 to the termly bill.
- The revision guides will be only be charged at a cost price of £2.45 if they are not returned in a reusable condition in June.
The combined price of these books represents excellent value, given that they have a combined retail price of £11.88.
If you do not want a copy of the revision workbook for your son or daughter, please email Mr Sumner email@example.com and the charge will be removed.
Please be aware that revision guides from previous years, which pupils’ siblings may have used, will not be as useful, as all Modern Languages GCSE syllabuses have changed to 9-1 grading and include extra content and different assessment demands.
Sixth Form Trials
Lower 6th – Monday 19 to Wednesday 21 February
Upper 6th – Monday 19 to Saturday 24 February
Sixth Form pupils will be coming out of lessons during the above times to sit trials in the Sports Hall. Day pupils only need to be in for the trials, while boarders are expected to work in Houses. Meanwhile, all pupils in teams are expected to meet sports commitments, and any extra-curricular lessons need to be arranged around the trials. Exam timetables have been issued via Houses to all pupils this week along with exam regulations.These timetables are also accessible on the iSAMS Parents App. Please contact Dr. Bradley as soon as possible if you spot any mistakes or your son / daughter has a planned absence during the trial period. While pupils can attend interviews and invitational open days, they will need to look at times outside the trial period for general open days.
The Week Ahead
For those parents who are wanting to upload the School Calendar to smart phones, google calendar or similar, you are able to use the following URL:
CLICK HERE to access the Live Website Calendar.
If you have any queries or comments, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.