Please click on the link below to this week’s Hermes.
Week 4: Beginning Monday 24th September 2018
Below you will find further information on:
- The Warden, Emma Taylor, interview in HMC’s ‘Insight Magazine’
- Parking and Drop Off Arrangements
- Year 7 – Snowdon Trip Blog
- Performance Platform, Tuesday 25th September
- Interhouse Quiz, Tuesday 25th September
- Year 8 – Healthy Living Day, Thursday 27th September
- Year 5 – History Trip to Mary Arden’s Farm, Friday 28th September
- Rendcomb Rough Runner Challenge, Friday 28th September
- Dean Close Business Club, Friday 28th September
- Cheltenham Half Marathon, Sunday 30th September
- Irina Krasotina Piano recital and Masterclass, Monday 1st October
- Swimming notice regarding pupils’ equipment
- Close Community Events Brochure
- Ultimate Activity Camps – October Half Term
The Warden, Emma Taylor, interview in HMC’s ‘Insight Magazine’
Please click here to access an interview with The Warden, Emma Taylor, in HMC’s ‘Insight Magazine’.
Parking and Drop Off Arrangements
Thank you for your care in dropping off your child at the start of the school day.
We would like to remind you of the following:
- Please use the drop off area outside the Centenary Hall where a member of staff will be happy to help your child out of the vehicle.
- Please refrain from parking your vehicle on the road outside the Fortfield boarding house as this causes vehicles to back up onto the Lansdown Road and also means that others find it difficult to park in the spaces opposite.
- The speed limit in the school grounds is five miles per hour to ensure the safety of all of our community.
- The safety of anyone on our site is of paramount importance. Therefore, the school asks that no one parks on the grass verge of the public highway outside the school drive or within 15 feet of a junction. Vehicles, so parked, can create other driver blind spots which could lead to an accident. This especially applies to the school exit onto Lansdown Road, the site of several previous collisions.
- Please could all members of the school community be aware that there are marked disabled parking spaces at the front of the School. It is important that these are only used by registered disabled badge holders and it is most inconvenient if these spaces are blocked by other cars at anytime.
- Please take care when exiting the school gates as pedestrians may be walking on the path.
- We strongly recommend that cars do not turn right on to the Lansdown Road. This is a very busy road and there have been several previous collisions at this point. It also can cause long delays for other members of the public.
Year 7 – Snowdon Trip Blog
Our Year 7 pupils have visited the area of the Snowdonia National Park this week. Please click here to access a blog on their trip.
Performance Platform, Tuesday 25th September
Our first Performance Platform takes place on Tuesday at 1.30pm. This is a chance for solo musicians to perform pieces in Centenary Hall. They are signed up by their instrumental teacher and lots of different performers get a chance during the course of the year. Parents of the performers will be emailed a message and draft programme in the days prior to the concert. Friends and family are more than welcome to attend.
Interhouse Quiz, Tuesday 25th November
The first ‘Interhouse Quiz’ is held this week with Oaksey challenging Yeaman. This is an opportunity for teams of typically curious pupils with budding encyclopaedic knowledge to pit their wits against each other in an informal setting. Matches will be played throughout the year as pupils compete for the interhouse quiz cup and the chance to be crowned ‘Brain of DCPS’!
Year 8 Healthy Living Day, Thursday 27th September
Healthy Living Days form part of the PSHCE curriculum and are active off timetable sessions designed to chime with the key topics of communication, wellbeing, self-esteem, relationships and sex education. Year 7 and 8 have two a year. They are organised by our own staff with the help of guest speakers and professional fitness/outdoor instructors. You will always be informed by clarion in advance when they happen and they are in the calendar. They are great fun, and a chance to reflect on what it means to be a young person growing up in what can be a confusing but exciting world.
Please click here to access a letter for Year 8 parents.
Year 5 – History Trip to Mary Arden’s Farm, Friday 28th September
Please click here to access a letter for Year 5 parents.
Rendcomb Rough Runner Challenge, Friday 28th September
This event is similar to a ‘Tough Mudder’ or ‘Mud Run’ race, but one that is especially designed for children in Year 7 and Year 8. The event will feature two (low level) crossings of the River Churn, a rope-swing, a cargo net crawl and a hay bale mountain. Team sheets will go up early next week. Priority will be given to those pupils who have regularly attended Cross-Country Club. Further details will be sent to pupils selected to compete next week.
Dean Close Business Club, Friday 28th September
Diversity and Inclusion: More than just a game
Past Parent, Laura Haycock, Client Engagement Manager at Pearn Kandola – Business Psychology and Occupational Psychologists, joins us to discuss how to understand our unconscious biases better and how these can unwittingly impact our behaviours and decisions. If you would like to join us, please click here.
Cheltenham Half Marathon, Sunday 30th September
The Cheltenham Half Marathon route takes it past DCPS along the Lansdown Road and therefore parents please be aware of road closures on the morning of the race. Numerous members of the Dean Close community will be participating and would appreciate any support as they complete their run.
Irina Krasotina Piano recital and Masterclass, Monday 1st October
We are very excited to be welcoming concert pianist Irina Krasotina from Moscow to DCPS on Monday 1st October. She will performing at short 30 minute “child friendly” programme of piano music in Centenary Hall at 1.30pm, with a chance to meet her afterwards. We shall then enjoy a masterclass/concert of some of our own selected pianists at 2.30pm (until, approximately, 3.45pm), with Irina hearing them play and giving them pointers for the future. Parents, friends and family are more than welcome to join us for either or hopefully both parts of the afternoon as it promises to be a fantastic occasion.
Swimming notice regarding pupils’ equipment
Please could all swimmers have the correct swimming kit for their swimming lessons: black swimming costume/shorts, goggles and a swim hat. We are aware that the school shop is out of stock of Dean Close swim hats. Pupils will be expected to have them by end of half term.
Close Community Events Brochure
Each term we publish a selection of events across our Schools that we think you might like to attend. Copies of this term’s Community Events Brochure have been sent out to all UK postal addresses, if you are yet to receive your copy please contact the Development office – firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please click here to access an online version
Ultimate Activity Camps – October Half Term
Ultimate Activity Camps are returning to Dean Close with their activities.
- Monday 22nd to Friday 26thOctober
- For children aged 4-14 years
- Early booking offer, £40 per day or £174 per week when booked by Tuesday 2nd October
- As well as the full range of engaging activities, for October Half Term they will also offer some extra seasonal activities.
Please book via www.ultimateactivity.co.uk or call 0330 111 7077.