Highlights of the Week:
- Boarders’ Christmas Dinner on Tuesday night saw the Dining Hall transformed into a German Christmas Market by our amazing Catering team.
- The 9 Lessons and Carols on Wednesday evening saw a packed Chapel enjoy beautiful anthems sung by the Choir.
- On Thursday the entire School celebrated the end of term with a Carol Service, followed by Christmas Dinner.
- The inter-house rugby and hockey took place on Thursday afternoon and saw Tower House and Hatherley monopolise the trophies.
- We wish all our pupils and their families a very happy festive season.
FROM The Headmaster
Reports will be available online from Tuesday 19 December.
To access reports from the website, please go to: Portals – enter the Parent Hub and log into the secure Parent Portal.
GCSE Mock Examination Timetable: Tuesday 9 to Saturday 20 January 2018
Please follow the links to view the GCSE Mock Examination timetable and guidelines for pupils. Any queries in this regard can be directed to our Assistant Director of Studies Dr Bradley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6th FORM Uniform Expectations
A number of the 6th form are still struggling to conform with uniform expectations. A disproportionate amount of House master/mistress time is taken up with ‘policing’ the clothing the 6th form is wearing which would be much better spent in other areas. Could you please ensure that the clothing your 6th form charge returns with next term follows the rules outlined below. Full uniform guidance can be found in the handbook for parents or on the website.
- Suits for both boys and girls should be tailored and in a dark colour. The light blue and grey suits or those with very distinctive patterns that have appeared in recent months are not suitable for school.
- Trousers for both boys and girls should be full length. This means touching the tops of shoes and not ending at the ankle or higher. Dark coloured socks should be worn.
- Skirts should be to the knee and not be so tight that they ride up as the wearer is walking.
- Shirts for both boys and girls should be in a light colour. Dark shirts or those with distinctive check or other patterns are not part of the uniform regulations.
As a school we have done our utmost to avoid interrupting lesson times in order to enforce uniform regulations. However from January 6th formers may well be sent away from school in order to change into correct attire so that the majority are not penalised for the infringements of the minority.
Calculators Reminder for 6th Form
The new Linear A level requires pupils to have a suitable calculator for handling the Statistical distributions. If not pupils will not be able to readilyaccess 20% of the course.
The Maths Department recommend, as does Edexcel their Exam board, the Casio fx-991EX, often called the CLASSWIZ. It is VERY intuitive to use and can be used by ALL year groups. Many “you tube” clips show how to use its advanced functions. It is alsostocked in our school shop.
Please email email@example.com if you have a concern about the aboveor want details of the CG-50, the Casio graphical calculator that isrecommended but is certainly not compulsory for A level Mathematicians. The CG-50is for those who want the most appropriate, “exam legal” and intuitive GRAPHICAL calculator. It does not replace the CLASSWIZ but has an excellent graphing facility amongst other useful features.
Opportunity for 4th Form Pupils: Summer 2018
Please see the attached documents for further details of an exciting programme run by Oxbridge Academic Programs in the USA.
Easter Revision Course
Dean Close will be holding our Easter Revision Course again in April 2018. The course invitation is extended to all GCSE and A Level pupils wishing to concentrate on two or one subject, respectively, during the course. Places are available on a residential or non-residential basis. For further course related information, please go onto our website to download the course brochure: www.deanclose.org.uk/courses
Alternatively you can get in touch using the following contact details: 01242 258023 or Marie Carter on: firstname.lastname@example.org
Personal Training Opportunities
Please see the flyer below for further details.
The Week Ahead
The calendar has now been opened up so that you can view events until the end of March 2018. We do hope that this is useful ahead of receiving the printed version in January.
CLICK HERE to access the Live Website Calendar.
If you have any queries or comments, please contact email@example.com.