Highlights of the Week
- Welcoming back all our existing pupils, as well as meeting all our new pupils.
- 4th Form visit to the Trampoline Park on Monday.
- The induction day for the Lower 6th included an entertaining evening at the bowling alley.
- Great to see our campus come alive again.
- Success of both the respective pre-season Hockey and Rugby training camps.
- House Tug-of-War Competition held on Wednesday.
- Day Parents’ Breakfast in the Day House Village.
Remove Geography Field Trip: 6 to 7 October, Swanage in Dorset
New Term Dates: 2020-2021
National Apprenticeship Show: 2 October, Cheltenham Race Course
Parent Portal & iSAMS Parents App
Please see attached, the detailed instructions for logging into the Parent Portal and subsequent use of the iSAMS Parent App. This gives instant access from your mobile device to a great deal of information about your child’s daily activities at school, including their timetable, reports and sanctions, if they have any.
If you are a new parent to Dean Close and have not received an email detailing your Registration details to the Parent Portal, which looks like the attached document, then do please contact our Database Manager on firstname.lastname@example.org.
For existing parents, please use your normal login details associated with your Parent Portal Account.
Education Question Time
On Thursday 10 October, Dean Close will host a unique and exciting debate to be hosted by Jeremy Vine from 7.00-9.00pm. Education Question Time (#EduQT) will include the panellists Lord David Blunkett, local MP Alex Chalk, cyber expert Professor Richard Benham, the Warden of Dean Close, Emma Taylor, and The Independent Newspaper Education Correspondent, Eleanor Busby. The panel will tackle questions from the floor relating to the future direction and content of education for the 21st century.
Preceding the above will be a Pupil Debate involving a number of pupils from a range of local schools. This event will run from 5.30pm-6.15pm. The bar will be open between these events.
Tickets for the Main Event are £5 plus admin charges (free to 18s and under) and can be purchased directly from the Bacon Theatre by calling 01242 258002 or via the Box Office website https://bacontheatre.ticketsolve.com/shows.
Teamsheet Login Details
Parents and pupils are able to access the online team sheets for all sports, and can expect these to be online two days prior to the fixture taking place. Please click HERE for the instructions sheet, if you are not sure how to access the team sheets. The parent and pupil login for this year is DCS2019.
Drop Off and Pick Up – Day Pupils
We have experienced an increase in the volume of cars parking along Shelburne Road over the past year and in order to try and alleviate some of the congestion we are opening up the area in front of the Music School to be used as a roundabout and hopefully reduce some of the loading on Shelburne Road in the morning.
Drop Off Options include:
- Shelburne Road East – we are planning to cone off the area between the pedestrian crossing and Sports Hall Drive in order to allow a safe drop off and pick up zone.
- Sports Hall Drive – parents may enter Sports Hall Drive and drop off pupils along this drive. Please note that vehicles must not be left unattended at any time.
- Estates Drive off Hatherley Road (morning only) – we are creating a temporary roundabout in Front of the Music School between 7.00 and 9.00am only. Please follow the flow as indicated in the picture below. We are trying to avoid a situation where cars are having to reverse. It is vital that parents adhere to the 5mph speed limit. There is enough space for 2 cars to pass, as long as drivers are cautious in their approach.
- Humpty Dumpty Car Park – is on the corner of Hatherley and Shelburne Road and operates as a One Way Only. Access is from Hatherley Road just near the pedestrian crossing and the exit is onto Shelburne Road.
Music School Turning Circle
It is very important to note that Dean Close School is a NUT and Sesame Free School. Our catering staff stick fastidiously to very strict guidelines, which can be compromised when pupils bring nut and sesame products onto the school site. If you have any queries in this regards please do not hesitate to contact the Front Office on email@example.com.
Leave of Absence Requests
Any request for Leave of Absence during term time needs to be submitted to the Deputy Headmaster (firstname.lastname@example.org) via the Housemaster, well in advance. Leave is only granted in exceptional circumstances as any absence from lessons, places additional pressure on the pupils to catch up on work that they have missed.
21 September 2019
This year the Chaplaincy team, in conjunction with other local churches, are taking a group of pupils aged 12-18 to a day aimed to equip and intrigue young people about questions pertaining to faith and Christianity, run by the Zacharias Trust. The day provides opportunity to hear some world-leading experts in their field speak to issues as varied as ‘Can science explain everything?’ to ‘Why does God allow suffering?’
The Headmaster has given permission for pupils who come along to miss school on the day. Although timings have yet to be finalized we anticipate leaving school at 7.00am and returning in time for Senior School House Singing Competition. There will be a small cost attached, subsidized by the School and a private donor. Please could all parents who would like their child to be considered for the trip email Lucy Irving on email@example.com. More information about the day can be found HERE.
The Week Ahead
CLICK HERE to access the Live Website Calendar.
For those parents who are wanting to upload the School Calendar to smart phones, google calendar or similar, you are able to use the following URL:
If you have any queries or comments, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.