Highlights of the Week
- On Friday evening we enjoyed the second Canape evening with some delightful treats by our talented Leiths pupils.
- The Auction of Promises kicked started the fundraising for the Julie Kent Foundation Award for a transformational education bursary.
- The Senior Critical Essay Dinner took place on Saturday evening with Old Decanian, John Harding CBE adjudicating. Beth Ellison won 1st Prize, with Felix Nelson and Sumire Kaimori being placed 2nd and 3rd
- On Sunday the Boarders went trampolining at the Funky Warehouse.
- Monday provided our Chapel Choir with the wonderful experience of singing evensong at St Paul’s Cathedral.
- Monday’s Chapel talk by Mr Allen challenged us to think about Remembrance from a different perspective by looking at the artwork of Kathe Kollwitz.
- Both the Hockey and Rugby teams have been participating in their respective National Cup competitions this week with lots of success.
- The House Quiz is gathering momentum now as the competition moves into its final weeks.
- The Food Preparation & Nutrition GCSE classes attend the Gloucester Farmers’ Market as part of their coursework and then cooked up the produce on their return to school.
MAIN SCHOOL PLAY by Peter Shaffer
29 & 30 NOVEMBER 2019
BACON THEATRE, 7.15pm
We are delighted to announce that we will be mounting a production of this famous play by Shaffer, made into a wonderfully successful film in 1984, which was nominated for 11 Oscars and won 8.
It tells the story of the once-famous composer Salieri (now a forgotten mediocre relic) and his furious jealousy of the young, vibrant but giggling and obscene childish-idiot-genius called Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
January Trial Exams
Fifth Form (Tuesday 7 to Saturday 18 January)
Upper Sixth (Tuesday 7 to Monday 13 January)
After the Christmas break, the Fifth and Upper Sixth will be on study leave to sit trials in the Old Gym. During this period, Day pupils only need to be in school for the trials, while Boarders are expected to work in Houses. In addition, all pupils in teams are expected to meet games commitments, and any extra-curricular lessons need to be arranged around the trials. Timetables will be given to pupils and become available on Pupil and Parent Portals and Apps next week. If your son or daughter is going to be absent from any of the trials, please contact his/her Houseparent. Fifth Form pupils are back in normal lessons on Monday, 20th January, and Upper Sixth on Tuesday, 14th January.
GCSE Artwork Exhibition
Monday 25 November
Please join us at our EXHIBITION & OPEN STUDIO PRIVATE VIEW taking place on Monday 25 November from 4.15-6.30pm.
This event takes place in the Art School where guests will be able to view an Exhibition of Year 10 GCSE Artwork which will include examples of drawing, painting, ceramic sculpture, digital photography and print-making.
Refreshments will be served throughout the evening. We very much hope that you will be able to join us and would welcome any other friends or family you would like to bring along.
Friday 6 December, 7.00pm, Bacon Theatre
The biennial Advent Concert will be a glamorous ‘Night at the Movies’. Come along to enjoy lots of well-loved film themes performed by many of our instrumental and choral groups, large and small. Mince pies and mulled wine will be served in the Dining Hall during the interval and the best bit is that you don’t need tickets – just turn up on the night. There will be a retiring charity collection at the end of the concert.
Please could all parents and guardians who would like their son / daughter to be considered for Confirmation this year please email the Chaplain (email@example.com). The preparation classes will begin next term and the Confirmation service is booked for early on in the Trinity term. This is a super opportunity for young people to grow deeper in their faith and discover more about what the Christian faith can do for them. Please do get in touch with any questions.
CHRISTMAS HOCKEY CAMP 2019
This December, we are running a Christmas Hockey Camp here at Dean Close and as always, it is open to all girls and boys.
Wednesday 18 December
Thursday 19 December
Friday 20 December
Ages and times:
7-11 yrs: 9.00am – 12 noon
12+ yrs: 1.00pm – 4.00pm
The Week Ahead
CLICK HERE to access the Live Website Calendar.
For those parents who are wanting to upload the School Calendar to smart phones, google calendar or similar, you are able to use the following URL:
If you have any queries or comments, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.