Highlights of the Week:
- Sixth Form pupil, Oliver Wood, has been awarded the sought-after Arkwright Engineering Scholarship that identifies him as one of the Country’s future leaders in engineering and related areas of design.
- Dean Close has been nominated best of the best by The Week magazine for its outstanding music provision and as runners-up for equestrianism.
- Thank you to Tatler Magazine for our glowing review! The magazine gave particular praise for the Art, Sport and Music departments.
- Our hockey teams played against Rugby School, with some superb wins across the age ranges.
- The rugby teams recorded some convincing victories against RGS Worcester, especially the U15a team who lost heavily last year but won resoundingly this year.
- The Lower School Boarders enjoyed a lovely outing to Symonds Yat in the Forest of Dean.
- House Tug of War on Monday was a great success with great camaraderie on display across the Houses and all year groups.
- The U6th have been put through their paces in their Futures Programme practice interviews.
- Drama Department took advantage of having the live screening of Merry Wives of Windsor in the Bacon Theatre.
- Dean Close Remembers rehearsals have been taking place all week and it promises to be a thought provoking piece of theatre. See below on how to secure your tickets for Sunday 16 September.
Important Letters to Parents
5th & 6th Form – London Art Trip, 18-19 November 2018
From the Headmaster – My Fair Lady
Dean Close Remembers – Sunday 16 September 2018
This event, which takes place in the Bacon Theatre, is to mark the Centenary of the end of WWI and the part that Dean Close pupils and masters played in the conflict.
3.00pm Matinee Performance
7.00pm Gala Evening Performance (black tie and decorations)
Refreshments will be served and there will be a ‘pop-up’ museum in operation an hour prior to the performances. Please do come and join us for this very special event.
The event is free, but ticketed. Tickets are available from the Bacon Theatre website by clicking HERE.
It is a special opportunity for all our schools and former pupils to join together as a community.
Drop off and Collection on Shelburne Road
Following last week’s note about parking, we have received more complaints during the course of this week. It is illegal to park on the zig zag chevrons next to the pedestrian crossing and creates a really dangerous situation for pupils and other members of the public crossing the road. This is another polite request that Parents do not park on the Double Yellow lines or the zig zag chevrons along Shelburne Road. Thank you for your cooperation in this regard.
Road Closures – Cheltenham Half Marathon 30 September
Please note that due to the running of the Cheltenham Half Marathon on Sunday 30 September, Hatherley Road and Shelburne Road as well parts of Lansdown Road will be closed for a large part of the day from 6.00am through to 1.00pm. Do please plan your travel arrangements accordingly.
The Art Department are excited to announce the launch their new Instagram page this week.
To follow all the fabulously creative goings-on of our talented pupils please follow them @ ‘Dean Close Art’.
Shape of the Week
We thought it would be useful if parents had a copy of the new weekly schedule. So far it seems to be working well, but we will continue to monitor it as we progress through the year. Due to our earlier registration time of 8.15am, it would be really helpful if day pupils were in school by 8.10am. We realise that this might create additional pressure for some parents and apologise for any inconvenience. A high resolution image can be found here!
SCHOLARSHIP INFORMATION EVENING
On Thursday 20 September, from 7.30–9.00pm, we will be hosting our annual Scholarship evening in the Centenary Hall at Dean Close Preparatory School. Parents who are interested in understanding a little more about the process and the types of scholarships on offer are encouraged to come along and chat to the relevant Departments and staff.
Our next Open Morning is on Saturday 13 October 2018 and we invite existing and prospective parents to come along.
The Parents’ sessions have now started for the Michaelmas Term. Dean Close parents are welcome to come along to Wednesday Cardio Tennis 8.00-8.45am each week or Monday’s Beginners Tennis each week from 9.00-10.00am. If parents are interested in coming along or need further information, they can email firstname.lastname@example.org. Parents’ Tennis is a huge success and the feedback we receive is fantastic; parents love the sense of community and the opportunity to meet socially each week.
Michaelmas Term Calendar
For those parents who are wanting to upload the School Calendar to smart phones, google calendar or similar, you are able to use the following URL:
Term dates for rest of the academic year can be found by following this LINK.
The Week Ahead
CLICK HERE to access the Live Website Calendar. You are now able to view this Calendar to 31 December 2018.
If you have any queries or comments, please contact email@example.com.