Highlights of the Week
- We were delighted to welcome OD Izzy Montgomery to the Geography department on Tuesday afternoon to talk to 6th Form Geographers about studying Geography at university.
- First set of block fixtures against St Edward’s, Oxford (Girls’ Hockey) and RGS, Worcester (Rugby) went very well.
- The Boarders enjoyed their outing up Cleeve Hill on Sunday and were treated to some magnificent views of the surrounding countryside.
- The Headmaster has started his Post A Level interviews with each Upper 6th pupil as they start to plan for life after school.
- A Level Musicians travelled to the Royal Albert Hall in London on Thursday night to watch the Proms.
- The Modern Languages Department hosted a French Film Evening where they watched Le Petit Nicolas.
- Friday’s Cake Sale to support the relief efforts in the Bahamas was wonderfully organised by Lower 6th pupil Bianca Smith, and really well supported by the whole Dean Close Community.
Education Question Time
On Thursday 10 October, Dean Close will host a unique and exciting debate to be hosted by Jeremy Vine from 7.00-9.00pm. Education Question Time (#EduQT) will include the panellists Lord David Blunkett, local MP Alex Chalk, cyber expert Professor Richard Benham, the Warden of Dean Close, Emma Taylor, and The Independent Newspaper Education Correspondent, Eleanor Busby. The panel will tackle questions from the floor relating to the future direction and content of education for the 21st century.
Preceding the above will be a Pupil Debate involving a number of pupils from a range of local schools. This event will run from 5.30pm-6.15pm. The bar will be open between these events.
Tickets for the Main Event are £5 plus admin charges (free to 18s and under) and can be purchased directly from the Bacon Theatre by calling 01242 258002 or via the Box Office website https://bacontheatre.ticketsolve.com/shows.
Call for Auction Lots
During the course of this academic year Mrs Kent (Shelburne Housemistress and Senior School Music Department) will be raising money for a bursary, to support a child through Dean Close who would not normally be able to afford it. In order to kick start the fundraising for this ‘Foundation Award’, she is organising a Promises Auction in November and is appealing to parents for auction lots.
“Do you have a holiday home, a crate of fine wine under your stairs, maybe you could offer to do some gardening or give up half a cow…? We will auction ANYTHING!” Well, almost anything!
Please contact Mrs Kent (firstname.lastname@example.org or 07770 428439) if you are able to support this particular venture.
Drop Off and Pick Up – Day Pupils
Thank you for your cooperation as we have initiated this new drop-off system, especially outside the Music School. It is not perfect but we are continuing to monitor this and are currently looking at ways to improve the provision. Thank you to those of you who have offered such constructive feedback.
Drop Off Options include:
- Shelburne Road East – do please use the coned off area as a drop off and pick up zone.
- Sports Hall Drive – parents may enter Sports Hall Drive and drop off pupils along this drive. Please note that vehicles must not be left unattended at any time.
- Estates Drive off Hatherley Road (morning only) – we are creating a temporary roundabout in Front of the Music School between 7.00 and 9.00am only. Please follow the flow as indicated in the picture below. We are trying to avoid a situation where cars are having to reverse as this increases the risks. Thank you for adhering to the 5mph speed limit. There is enough space for 2 cars to pass, as long as drivers are cautious in their approach.
- Humpty Dumpty Car Park – is on the corner of Hatherley and Shelburne Road and operates as a One Way Only. Access is from Hatherley Road just near the pedestrian crossing and the exit is onto Shelburne Road.
Would you like to play some hockey on Saturday mornings? The Parents’ Hockey Club is always welcoming new members whether you’re an expert, looking to brush up on your skills, or have never played before!
The club meets on Saturdays during term time at 8am for an 8.15am pushback, with coffee afterwards.
Leave of Absence Requests
Any request for Leave of Absence during term time needs to be submitted to the Deputy Headmaster (email@example.com) via the Housemaster, well in advance. Leave is only granted in exceptional circumstances as any absence from lessons, places additional pressure on the pupils to catch up on work that they have missed.
The Week Ahead
CLICK HERE to access the Live Website Calendar.
For those parents who are wanting to upload the School Calendar to smart phones, google calendar or similar, you are able to use the following URL:
If you have any queries or comments, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.