Highlights of the Week
- The Drama Department hosted a Masks Workshop last Friday and attended a nail-biting and spine tingling production of The Woman in Black on Tuesday.
- The Open Air Disco on Saturday night proved to be a great success.
- Lower 6th Artists enjoyed the morning out at Gloucester Cathedral on Monday.
- In Tuesday’s Gala, our swimmers performed really well with some good times being recorded.
- We have been welcoming visitors to our site this week as part of the Heritage Open Day Tours.
- When we walk around the site before school, the sound of music fills our ears as the Houses put the final polish on their entries for Saturday night’s House Singing Competition.
Berlin Study Trip – 29 October to 1 November: Reminder about Parents’ Information Evening on Wednesday 25 September at 6.00pm in the Cricket Pavilion on Big Field.
House Singing Competition
Saturday 21 September, 7.00-9.00pm
On Saturday 21 September, we hold the annual House Singing Competition in the Bacon Theatre starting at 7.00pm. Due the fact that it is a whole school event, there is unfortunately no space for any additional spectators. The theme for this year’s unison songs is ‘Songs by Queen’. We are expecting the programme to finish at around 9.00pm, and day parents are able to collect their sons and daughters thereafter.
Please Note: The Railway Courts Parking area alongside the Day House Village will be Open for the pick up after the Competition. See the Map below!
Supper has been ordered in the Dining Hall for those Day pupils who have indicated that they will be in school.
New Parents’ Meeting with Tutors and Houseparents
Friday 27 September, 4.00 – 5.30 pm, Dining Hall
Parents of Fourth Form and new joiners in other year groups are invited to meet the Tutors and Houseparents, and find out how their children have been doing in the first few weeks at the School. The Tutors and Houseparents will have some feedback from the subject teachers to discuss how your son or daughter is settling in lessons as well as at school in general.
Community Service / Field Day
Tuesday 24 September
On Tuesday 24 September there is a different emphasis during the School day, where different year groups will be participating in a slightly different range of activities.
4th Form: Full Day of Outdoor Pursuits at Croft Farm Water Park, Tewkesbury. Pupils should come to school in School Tracksuits and bring clothes that they are happy to get wet.
Remove: The CCF competition will not finish until 5.15pm so pick up on Tuesday will be from 5.30pm onwards.
5th Form: Academic Lessons 1 to 4, with Afternoon Activities
6th Form: Academic Lessons 1 to 4, with Afternoon Activities
Sixth Form Careers Assembly
“Exploring Pathways, Degree Apprenticeships, Work Experience & International Universities”
Lower Sixth pupils attended an assembly by Z Suckle, Head of Careers, and Charlie Montgomery, International Universities Coordinator.
The presentation highlighted…
- degree apprenticeships as a possible next step and the upcoming National Apprenticeship Show trip (2 October)
- the new UNIFROG.ORG Universal Destinations Platform, and all of its guides and resources, to which pupils now have access (which can be used in conjunction with the MORRISBY.COM platform)
- how to prepare and secure work experience (and the need to move fast for a placement this half-term)
- the opportunities available to study at international universities (many of which should be investigated this year)
A copy of the slides used can be found HERE!
Drop Off and Pick Up – Day Pupils
Thank you for your co-operation as we have initiated this new drop-off system, especially outside the Music School.
Drop Off Options include:
- Shelburne Road East – do please use the coned off area as a drop off and pick up zone.
- Sports Hall Drive – parents may enter Sports Hall Drive and drop off pupils along this drive. Please note that vehicles must not be left unattended at any time.
- Estates Drive off Hatherley Road (morning only) – we are creating a temporary roundabout in Front of the Music School between 7.00 and 9.00am only. Please follow the flow as indicated in the picture below. We are trying to avoid a situation where cars are having to reverse as this increases the risks. Thank you for adhering to the 5mph speed limit. There is enough space for 2 cars to pass, as long as drivers are cautious in their approach.
- Humpty Dumpty Car Park – is on the corner of Hatherley and Shelburne Road and operates as a One Way Only. Access is from Hatherley Road just near the pedestrian crossing and the exit is onto Shelburne Road.
Dean Close Classics Department
The Classics Department hosts the Gloucestershire Classical Association’s annual programme of lectures to which parents are warmly invited. This academic year’s lectures are literary in theme, focusing on some of the great authors of the Graeco-Roman world, and will take place in the Pavilion from 7.30pm to 8.30pm on the dates advertised below.
17/10/19 Cicero’s Second Philippic. Dr Ed Bispham, University of Oxford.
21/11/19 Aeneid 11 (exact title TBC). Prof. Philip Hardie, University of Cambridge.
23/01/20 Keeping it in the family: tragic killings in Euripides’ Medea and Bacchae and in Sophocles’ Oedipus the King.‘ Dr Patrick Finglass, University of Bristol
13/03/20 Humour in Aristophanes (exact title TBC). Dr Paul Martin, University of Bristol.
Would you like to play some hockey on Saturday mornings? The Parents’ Hockey Club is always welcoming new members whether you’re an expert, looking to brush up on your skills, or have never played before!
The club meets on Saturdays during term time at 8am for an 8.15am pushback, with coffee afterwards. Please park on Humpty Dumpty.
October Half Term
Ultimate Activity Camps are back this October half term and will be running their fantastic camps here at Dean Close, from Monday 28 October to Friday 1 November.
- Days run from 8:30am until 5:15pm* (Extended Day Pass for an extra £5 covers 8am-6pm)
- For children aged 4-14 years
- Book by the day or week
- The Early Booking Rate of £41/day or £179/week will run until Tuesday 1st October so please Book Early!
- Children get some Fresh Air, Fun, Meet New Friends and Try New Activities!
To sign up and use the early bird discount, please visit the website www.ultimateactivity.co.uk to book online or call 0330 111 7077 to speak to their helpful customer service team.
The Week Ahead
CLICK HERE to access the Live Website Calendar.
For those parents who are wanting to upload the School Calendar to smart phones, google calendar or similar, you are able to use the following URL:
If you have any queries or comments, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.