We are very sad to announce that Dean Close stalwart Mike Girling passed away in the early hours of Friday morning (20th February 2015).
The funeral will take place atSt Mary, Charlton Kingson on Thursday 19 March at 1.30pm,followed by Cremation.
NB ALL ARE WELCOME TO THE FUNERAL (and indeed the Crem).
The Thanksgiving Service will take place at the Memorial Chapel of All Saints in Dean Close School on Saturday 9 May at 12 noon.
DCS Common Room Member from 1948-1981.
- Housemaster of Tower 1952-1967
- Second Master 1968 – 1981. During which time he was instrumental in ensuring the schools change to co-education. Brian Wilson succeeded Mike as Second Master.
- 1st XI cricket master 1948 – 1964 where he handed over to Chris Kenyon (Photo attached – between Chris Townsend, Chris Kenyon and Mike they ran the 1st XI cricket side for over 50 years).
- Played the double bass in the school orchestra.
- Worked under four DCS Headmasters (Tony Gilkes, Douglas Graham, Christopher Turner and Christopher Bacon).
- The current teachers’ common room was named ‘The Girling Room’ in 1990. This was created to house the school archives and was to act as a meeting place for Old Decanians.
The Governors report in the year of Mike’s retirement wrote: ‘…a wise counsellor to Governors as to Headmasters, staff, parents and pupils; and as loyal a servant as a school could have…’
Christopher Bacon (Headmaster at the time of his Mike’s retirement) wrote: ‘…there can rarely be seen a devotion equivalent to his in any community…’
Adding to his 33 years of service as a member of staff, Mike Girling was Registrar of the Old Decanian Society for 18 years (1969 -1987).