你好 BONJOUR! ¡HOLA! WILKOMMEN!
In today’s world of globalisation and uniformity, a common misconception is that English is now the ‘lingua franca’. In secondary schools across the UK, the number of students taking foreign languages has dropped significantly in the last few years. At Dean Close almost every pupil studies at least one language to GCSE level and many carry on to AS and A2 level.
Our aim is to equip GCSE pupils with a strong basic foundation that they will hopefully use in later life. All GCSE linguists have the chance to spend a week in Montpellier or Salamanca at the start of the summer holidays. Sixth Formers not only improve their fluency in a language but also learn about a country’s cultural and historical heritage and its current affairs. Many of our pupils continue with language study after Dean Close and university language graduates have the best employment record of all non-vocational degrees.
THE MODERN LANGUAGES DEPARTMENT OFFER:
- French and Spanish at GCSE and A level (new AQA specifications from September 2016)
- German at GCSE and Sixth Form in the Enrichment Block (starts September 2016)
- Beginners Mandarin Chinese and Italian during Monday Afternoon Activities
- Supported self-study and exam guidance for fast-track students
- Biennial Fourth/Remove/Fifth summer holiday study trips to Montpellier and Salamanca
- The option of work experience in France or Spain for Sixth Form
- Termly French and Spanish film evenings and annual Fourth Form language plays
- A highly experienced team of teachers and language assistants
|No. of candidates||A*||A||B||C||D||E|
|Spanish AS||6||5||1||83% A/B|
Pupils also sat public exams sat in Chinese, Italian, Russian, Dutch, Polish and Hebrew.
“Those who know nothing of foreign languages know nothing of their own.” –