Highlights of the Week:
- The 4th Form have had a really exciting week learning new skills, visiting places of worship of different faiths and religions, and engaging in cultural dance.
- The Remove had a fantastic week away in Devon, putting their skills to the test in the range, out in the field and on the water. Their behaviour and attitude was superb throughout.
- A number of our 5th Form signed up for Skills Week, and many of those came away with new qualifications including Barista certificates, and we were delighted that all our Pool Lifeguard participants passed their exam, which is a stringent week long course.
- The Lower 6th have been engaged in our Futures Week programme learning more about CV writing, the application process to University and Colleges, University Open Day visits, as well as a talk about the advantages of going down the apprenticeship route.
- Cricket week saw soaring temperatures put our pupils to the test, but they had a most enjoyable week where plenty of runs were scored.
- The Valedictory Concert for our Music Leavers witnessed our Upper 6th Musicians in concert for the last time, and as ever provided the audience with a wonderful musical treat.
- The Leavers’ Service and Ball on Wednesday provided our final opportunity to wish our Upper 6th farewell and our blessing for the future.
At the end of this busy academic year it just remains for us to wish you a very happy and productive summer. Thank you for all your support during the year, whether it has been on the side of the sports field, at parents’ meetings, music and drama performances, and in so many other areas. We have really valued and appreciated your support and feedback.
Start of Michaelmas Term: Tuesday 4 September 2018
Boarders Return: Monday 3 September 2018 from 6.00pm
4th Form and Remove: Please see the attached letter from Mrs Davis regarding the new uniform, as well as the Guidance from the Parents’ Handbook and flyer from Schoolblazer detailing the ordering process.
5th Form: Please see the attached letter from Mrs Davis. There is no change to the 5th Form uniform for September 2018.
House and Houseparents’ Contact Details
Please note that from September, we are initiating a new phone and email protocol for all the Pastoral Houses in order to improve communication and safeguarding. Please see the attached notification and protocols, for the Boarding Houses and the Day Houses. If you have any queries in this regard please contact Mrs Davis on email@example.com. Most of the new telephone numbers are already ‘live’ but please be aware that they won’t be in official use until Tuesday 28 August.
Music Lessons: September 2018
Please see the attached information about the arrangements for Music Lessons for September 2018. Also attached is the Music Lesson Request Form, which needs to be completed and returned to Mrs Helen Porter, Director of Music on firstname.lastname@example.org or via the Front Office.
PLEASE NOTE: The music lesson request forms are ONLY needed if you wish your son/daughter to START instrumental or singing lessons next term. If they already have lessons, these will continue until a term’s notice is received, or your child leaves Dean Close School.
U6th Geography Field Trip: 14 to 17 September 2018
Please see attached, notification of the A level Geography Field Trip which is a compulsory part of the curriculum. There is no cost attached to this trip, but we would be grateful if parents could return the consent form at their earliest convenience.
Gum Shield Fitting: Thursday 6 September
At Dean Close, gum shields are compulsory items whenyour son or daughter is playing rugby and hockey. If you would like for your son or daughter to be fitted with a gum shield by Opro, our new providers, then please do follow the instructions on the attached flyer.
If you have any questions in this regards please contact Mr Baber-Williams at email@example.com.
Open-Air Theatre Season: Regeneration
During the Open-Air Tuckwell Theatre season this year on Saturday 28 July, some of our actors will be performing ‘Regeneration’: an adaptation of the powerful novel by Pat Barker which tells the true story of when poets Siegfried Sassoon (Max Thomas) and Wilfred Owen (Ben Crossley) met at the Craiglockhart Military Hospital when invalided out of the trenches in WWI.
If you have not been before, the Open-Air season is a tremendously lovely and picnicky type of an event at which audiences bring their own chairs and tasty treats. It is only in recent years that the Festival line-up has included DC talent, so it would be great to see you there, if you feel that this is your cup of tea. Tickets can be bought via this link: https://bacontheatre.ticketsolve.com/shows/873588056
Tennis, Cricket, Hockey & Rugby Camps
Please see the details below for the Camps taking place this Summer. This is a great opportunity for pupils of all ages to develop their skills and have some fun. Bookings for Tennis/Cricket and Hockey, can be done through: www.deanclose.org.uk/Courses
Save the Date
Fireworks and Charity Firewalk on Sunday 4 November at 6.30pm on Big Field.
Please see the attached notification of the School Shop opening times during the Summer holidays and for the start of next term.
The Week Ahead
For those parents who are wanting to upload the School Calendar to smart phones, google calendar or similar, you are able to use the following URL:
CLICK HERE to access the Live Website Calendar. You are now able to view this Calendar to 31 December 2018.
If you have any queries or comments, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.