Highlights of the Week:
- The GCSE exams got underway on Wednesday and we wish all our pupils the very best for the rest of the exam season.
- RocSoc on Tuesday saw a number of pupils getting up on the stage and playing some of their own compositions as well as a range of covers.
- Wednesday’s lecture by Ben Smith was inspiring in so many ways, and linked in seamlessly with the School’s core values.
- The Confirmation on Thursday evening saw 9 candidates affirming their Christian faith in a service which exuded real warmth and happiness.
- Senior Bowden Society met on Friday evening and were privileged to listen to Chair of Trustees Kathryn Carden speaking about Strategy and linking that to the exploits of Hannibal.
- The 1st XI cricket team won their T20 Cup match against Llandaff Cathedral School by 9 wickets with James Humphreys posting the first 50 of the season.
- Yoga in the Park proved to be a wonderful event which brought more than 500 members of the Community together including Old Decanians, parents past and present as well as current pupils and staff from across the Cheltenham Schools to raise money for the charity Blue Skye Thinking. We even had well wishes from St John’s on the Hill played on the giant screen just before the event started.
5th Form Exam Leave
The 5th Form are on study leave as from Monday 14 May and as such are no longer required to be in School except for exams. This applies to both Day Pupils and Boarders. For those who have morning exams, registration is at the normal time of 8.15am in Houses, and they then go to Chapel, Congo or House Assemblies as normal, before going to the Exam Hall. For afternoon exams, pupils are required to register at the Front Office on arrival.
When in school during the working day, all pupils should be dressed in their normal uniform. This enables the School to maintain an atmosphere of work for all on site. Boarders may go to lunch at 12.45pm and may wear School Games Kit or School Uniform. Pupils have to wear full school uniform when writing their examinations.
It is worth noting:
- Academic – Teachers continue to be available during the taught lesson times to answer any questions which pupils might have.
- Choir – There is an expectation that all choir members continue to attend rehearsals until Half Term.
- Orchestra – Pupils are expected to attend Orchestra Rehearsals until Half Term.
- Team Sport – There is an expectation that team players continue to train and represent the School in the relevant fixtures as published in the Calendar, including Cup Fixtures. But, if pupils have a heavy exam load during any given week, or are experiencing the pressure of exams, they are encouraged to enter into conversation with the Head of Sport, so that the School can be flexible in its approach. Early, clear communication works best for both parties. Players are encouraged to keep an eye on the notice boards.
- Carousel Sport – For exam groups, the Games sessions are optional, but scientific evidence suggests that regular exercise is beneficial to academic performance, and as such if pupils are wanting to continue with their sports options during exams then pupils are most welcome to attend.
- Co-Curricular – All other Co-Curricular activities are optional during exam leave.
If pupils have any concerns in this regard, please speak to the relevant Heads of Department, Mr Baber-Williams (Sport), Mr Bell (Choir), Mrs Porter (Music). Our key aim is to support the pupils at this busy time.
Commemoration Timings: Friday 25 and Saturday 26 May
Please see below for the Commemoration Weekend timings. This Service will once again be taking place at Tewkesbury Abbey, and if you are intending to join us for this special occasion, we would be grateful if you could complete and return the attached Attendance Reply Slip.
PLEASE NOTE THAT TICKETS ARE REQUIRED FOR THE FRIDAY EVENING COMMEMORATION CONCERT.
Friday 25 May
7.30pm Commemoration Concert
9.00pm Jazz on the Terrace
Saturday 26 May
8.15am Choir Depart for Tewkesbury & Registration in Houses
8.45am Choir Warm-up & Rehearsal
8.45am Coaches Depart Shelburne Road
9.30am Service of Commemoration (Tewkesbury Abbey)
10.30am Coaches Depart Tewkesbury Abbey
11.00am Refreshments and House Receptions for Pupils and Parents
11.30am Marquee Open with Concert Band Playing
12noon Speeches and Prizegiving (Marquee)
1.15pm Leavers Photo and Prizewinners Photo
2.00pm School vs ODs Cricket
3.00pm Exhibitions & Events
4.00pm Tea, Pimms & Strawberries (Marquee)
4.30pm Close of Events
6.00pm Cricket Ends
If you have any queries in this regard, please contact Karen Evans on firstname.lastname@example.org
To order you picnics hampers for Commem, please see the details below.
Exhibition: ‘…not just a wife’
This exhibition will run from Monday 21 to Saturday 26 May in The Orangery. Please see below for further details.
5th & Lower 6thForm Pupils considering University in the USA or Canada
On Monday 14 May representatives of six US/Canadian universities will be coming into school to meet pupils and parents. This is a perfect opportunity to find out more about the system, the opportunities it provides, and to ask any questions that you have. Please see the attached flyer for more information or contact Mrs Montgomery on email@example.com
Free Webinar on the topic of US university applications: David Hawkins of Global Education is running a free webinar aimed at students, teachers and parents on the topic of applying to universities in the United States, 1pm UK time on Monday 21 May.If this is of interest, please register via:
The Week Ahead
For those parents who are wanting to upload the School Calendar to smart phones, google calendar or similar, you are able to use the following URL:
CLICK HERE to access the Live Website Calendar.
If you have any queries or comments, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.