The first weekend of term saw a host of Rugby fixtures and Hockey fixtures against RGS Worcester and Millfield respectively. It was tremendous to see so many teams in action, and arguably the result of the day came from the U16a Rugby team, who in the final phases of the game executed a fabulous cross-field kick to score and win the game 22-21. The girls played some very attractive hockey and scored some good goals against very strong opposition.
The Monday Afternoon Activities (MAA) Programme got off to a strong start with the traditional Tug-of-War Competition taking place on Humpty Dumpty. There was certainly a great atmosphere as the teams worked together to overcome their opponents. It provided a superb opportunity for the Houses to show a bit of team spirit in this, the opening Inter House Competition of the new academic year.
Code of Conduct for Parents
The National Governing Bodies of the various sports, regularly publish guidelines relating to appropriate parental and other supporters’ behaviour from the touchline. In line with this guidance, we feel that it is important for us to share that information with our parent body.
Classics Trip Reminder – Easter 2017
For those pupils who are looking to go on the Classics Trip to Greece during the Easter holidays at the end of next term, please ensure that deposits of £100 have been paid by Wednesday 21 September, in order to secure the optimum price for the British Airways flights.
Further to previous correspondence, please note that riding lessons start this coming Monday, 19 September. If your son or daughter wishes to ride this term, please complete the attached form and return it to Mrs Cradock (email@example.com) by 9.00am on Monday 19 September. This is really important so that the stables are able to prepare the horses ahead of our arrival for the first session. Transport departs at 4.30pm from the Estates Car Park and returns to School by 6.30pm.
Students are encouraged to wear their own trousers, leggings or jodhpurs and appropriate footwear to be around ponies/horses. They can bring their own waterproof jackets, but it is requested that they wear their Dean Close sports polo shirts and jumpers for their lessons. For those who don’t have their own riding hats, hats are available to hire at the equestrian centre.
Montpellier – French Study Trip, 2-8 July 2017
In the first week of the summer holidays we will be taking our biennial Lower School French Study Trip to Montpellier, a wonderful university town near the coast in the South of France. The trip is open to all 4th, Remove and 5th Formers and combines a mix of daily French tuition, excursions in and around Montpellier, and homestays with French families. Places are limited to 24 students on a first come, first served basis. The cost of the trip is £775 and we require a deposit of £250 and the completed Passenger Information Form by Friday 14 October in order to secure the flights. For further information, please read the attached information or contact Head of Modern Foreign Languages, Mr Chris Hooper (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Art Trip to Venice – Easter 2017
This is a reminder that all 5th and 6th Art or History of Art pupils who are wanting to go on the Trip to Venice need to return their forms together with the deposit by Monday 26 September. This is a superb opportunity to visit The Basilica di San Marco, The Rialto Bridge, The Accademia Gallery and The Peggy Guggenheim Museum, as well as trips to the fascinating islands of San Michele and Burrano.
This is an open invitation to all members of the Dean Close Community, including staff, parents, friends and enthusiastic singers, to join the Choral Society which rehearses every Tuesday evening from 7.00-8.00pm in the Prince Michael Hall (PMH). This year, the Society will be performing Carl Orff’s Carmina Burana.
Dean Close Cooking School
The New Cooking School is a wonderful addition to our facilities and there are some fantastic opportunities for members of the Community to don their aprons and get involved.
- Michaelmas Term – How to Cook for Fifth Form (cost £75.00)
- Lent Term – Cooking for Life for Lower Sixth (cost £75.00)
- Trinity Term – Cake and Bake for Remove (cost £50.00)
These lessons will take place during the Monday Afternoon Activity (MAA) slot but places are limited to 18 and will be allocated on a first come, first serve basis, so an urgent response is required.
In addition, there are also Half Term Cookery Courses on offer, designed for different age groups. Do please see the attached flyer for further details. If you have any queries, please contact Mrs Maria Taylor (email@example.com).
Field Day – Wednesday 21 September
The Field Day this year coincides with the CCF Biennial Inspection. The entire school are off timetable and there are a variety activities in place for each of the year groups.
- 4th Form – All the 4th Form will be involved in a Personal Development Day. All pupils register as normal in their House Rooms at 8.15am and must report to the Dining Hall at 8.55am. Please note that they can come to School in their PE Kit. Attendance is compulsory and pupils can be collected at 4.00pm.
- Remove – CCF Biennial Inspection & South Cerney Adventure Training: All cadets will be involved in either the South Cerney Training or the Biennial Inspection, details of which have been published. Pupils can be collected at 4.00pm.
- 5th Form – CCF Biennial Inspection & South Cerney Adventure Training: All cadets will be involved in either the South Cerney Training or the Biennial Inspection, details of which have been published. Pupils can be collected at 4.00pm.
- Lower 6th Form– Overnight leadership camp to Appleton Woods, Oxfordshire. This trip departs on Tuesday 20 September at 3.30pm and returns to School on Wednesday 21 September at 5.15pm. Details have been published to all the Lower 6th pupils.
- Upper 6th Form – Their day will be based in school, and they will be doing a combination of Community Action and final UCAS preparation. Their day will run from 9.00-4.30pm and they may wear smart mufti.
GCSE History Trip – WW1 Battlefields of The Somme and Ypres
Places are still available for all Remove and 5th Form Historians. The trip is taking place over Half Term from Wednesday 2 November – Friday 4 November. The cost of the trip is £350 and thedeadline is Thursday 22 September. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish your son/daughter to join the trip.